Thursday, April 26, 2012

"What" is God?


Today I want to address my reflections to those who feel that there must be, that there "is" something beyond what we see with our eyes, what we experience with our senses. If our mind keeps going back, again and again, to this theme, it means that there must be some truth to it. The definitions of God are galore, as all the different religions "describe" God in a different way. Descriptions? Rather a kind of imaginary symbolic representations, in the effort of getting an idea of His characteristics. I believe that all these definitions and depictions are basically similar, because they all tend to get an understanding of something that cannot be really understood by the human mind. It is a concept that goes beyond the capability of our reasoning. Can you actually imagine or picture infinity or eternity? I have been thinking a lot, and I am still thinking about this topic. (Will I ever stop? Probably not. Who can?) I lovingly "envy" the people who can accept the almost anthropomorphic descriptions of God. I can't. So, in my wondering, I have arrived at this - possibly temporary - conclusion. I imagine (sort of, anyway) an infinite field of energy (yes, hardly conceivable) that creates all the many different "forms" existing in this Universe, and possibly in others, on distinct levels of existence.* This creative force is always there, available for us to establish a stronger connection with it. If we succeed in understanding its laws, we can really become capable of shaping, so to say,  our own lives, because all the elements are always there, all around us, eternally at our disposal. This is how I interpret the meaning of the expression God's love. Prayers, meditation, chanting, rituals etc. are the connection to the Creative Force. Does this make any sense to you? Nevertheless, I know that deeper reflections about the nature of our spirit are needed. Not an easy job, though! I am already working on it.

* Check out "string theory", if you are interested in finding out more.






No comments:

Post a Comment