Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Dislike At First Sight



Totally by chance, I happened to hear a brief part of a conversation between two young college students, who were laughing and joking in the friendliest way. At a certain point the boy says: "I know, you used to hate me." The girl answers: "I didn't hate you. I don't hate anybody. I just didn't like you." This simple exchange of words had for me an interesting meaning, good food for my usual reflections. I won't spend any time on such a big word as hate. I don't even include it in my vocabulary. But the rest is worth discussing. First of all, a question. Would you care to remember a situation where you met someone new, let's say a new co-worker, and you didn't like him (or her) at first sight? Maybe there was something in the expression of his face or in his attitude that you did not find pleasant (stuck up? pretentious? too friendly? not friendly enough? keen on impressing you? talked too much? talked too little?). It could have even been the way he was dressed, clothes that you did not find appealing or appropriate. It's quite natural to judge a person at first sight, it's a human trait, although certainly not the best one. At this point you had two possibilities: one, keep your distance, avoid him as much as possible, continue maintaining your labeling. A second possibility could have been giving your co-worker (or whomever) the opportunity to show you who he actually was. Listening to a person, giving them your attention, trying to understand who they truly are, where they are coming from, what their ideas and dreams are, might make you realize that your first impression was wrong. You could even become friends. Which is the path do you usually prefer to take?

No comments:

Post a Comment