Monday, April 2, 2012

Reality Shows


Is being yourself (or pretending to be, which is more likely, in my opinion!) a talent? Talent means skill, that is the particular ability to do something. Since reality shows have started being popular, quite a few years a go, if I remember right, I have often wondered what they actually were. I was not interested in watching, but I was curious to know what they were about. I was told that you just watch people, famous or not so famous, while they are going around living their lives. So? I asked. Why do people need to watch other people doing the things that they, too, do? It's not a show where you follow a story, or listen to music, or have fun with jokes. It seems to me that there is nothing interesting. On, the contrary, I was told by "followers", people like to see how others  live, especially if they are reasonably well known. All right. Then I also realized that some of these stars have acquired fame and wealth for just being in the show. I remember asking about a certain lady whose face and name I was seeing everywhere...on the Internet news, on magazine covers etc. I thought she was a singer or an actress. No, I was informed, she is a reality show star. And what does she do? I asked. Nothing, was the answer. She is just in the show. Cool, I thought, that's an easy way to become rich and famous. Another facet of today's society.

No comments:

Post a Comment