Monday, April 9, 2012

A Lightweight Reflection


In the past I have already posed the question about whether is art objective, therefore universal, or is it subjected to personal judgement, and therefore subjective. I tend to believe the latter because not every so-called masterpiece is appreciated by all to the same extent. I am thinking about a couple of books that are celebrated  as being among the greatest of world literature. But certainly not by me. I found them boring, extremely verbose, prolix, full of... too much of whatever their subject was. It seems to me that their authors were trying to put into their work everything they knew - was it science, or philosophy, or psychology, or history... - in order to impress the readers. I believe that writing with too many (often unnecessary) words becomes tedious, no matter how much literary critics exalt the authors' writing skills. Anyway, every individual has their own taste, to which they are entitled. No one is "wrong", they are all "right". I have a  friend I have a lot of opinions and ideas in common with, except for films. If he says that he loved a certain movie and encourages me to see it, I usually don't like it. And the other way around. Sometimes this kind of differences might be a little frustrating, especially when you are eager to share something that you greatly enjoyed, but you don't perceive the same enthusiasm in the recipient of your advice. But... let's look at the positive side. An Italian saying says "The world is beautiful because it is varied." True. If we all liked the same things...how dull!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment