Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Most Difficult Topic


I have always been intrigued, and still am, about the meaning of life. If you take the time to look it up in the dictionary, encyclopedia or the Internet, you will find a myriad of definitions that include such words as  organized matter and spirit. Have you ever seriously thought about this topic? You may be one of those who have never wondered, who just spend a day at the time, facing challenges and enjoying what they can, without giving it a second thought. On the other hand, you may believe in a nebulous afterlife or you may believe that this material existence is all there is.You may also be a person who, every now and then, thinks that maybe there is something else beside the daily work, food, sleep and so on. You "hope" there is something good awaiting you, but you have no idea of what it might be or how to find out. You try not to reflect too much about it because it scares you, because you feel lost and try to convince yourself that the end of your life is still very far away. Therefore you don't need to worry about it. But...is it? I mean, is it really so far away? How do you know? How can you be sure? You say, I'm young, I'm healthy, I'm strong, I'm still active, my faculties are intact... All true, my friend. But how can you forecast how long will all this last? I know, you don't want to really ponder upon it (who wants?) and I'm sorry that today I am bringing your attention to such a disturbing subject. But this thought exists, it is there, always, hidden in the deepest corners of your inner self. You know it but you don't want to think about it. Maybe you should. Maybe we ALL should. What is life, our life? Why are we here? Are we trying to live as well as we can, to be the best we can be? Are we getting anywhere? Are we achieving any results? Is there something else each of us could actually do to become  a "better person"? Mind you, you already are a "good" person. But there is always place for improvement, for progress, for finding new ways that can lead us  towards a happier, more fulfilling, more meaningful and fruitful existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment