Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Modern Idolatry


I have sometimes wondered about the reasons behind the exaggerated  enthusiasm of the so-called "fans". A fan is a supporter, an aficionado of something (such as a band or team) or person (artist, athlete).  So far so good. Liking or supporting someone you appreciate for their talents are beautiful things. But such word clearly derives from fanaticism, which is defined as an extreme uncritical zeal towards "something", an obsessive enthusiasm that goes beyond acceptable limits as far as human intelligence and dignity are concerned. I, personally, cannot share this kind of feelings of adoration for any other human being just because they happen to be good at and famous for their jobs. Athletes, actors, singers seem to be the most idolized by the crowds. In fact, I have never heard of a Nobel Prize laureate being made object of popular admiration, while acting or music award winners are considered "special", as if they were above the common human race. The "person" (not only the artist) has become a kind of idol, creating delirious cheering wherever he/she goes. I am not judgmental here, believe me. I have nothing against any Hollywood beauty, new princess, or singer dressed as a clown. As a matter of fact, I actually like them, as I like 1. new and old aristocrats as well as ordinary people; 2. winners and losers in show business or sports; 3. friends; 4. simple acquaintances; 5. passersby. I like them all because they are people, my fellow humans. If they happen to be rich and famous, good for them. I wish them to enjoy it all. But this does not make them better than or superior to others. Therefore I don't see why their admirers or supporters should put them up on a pedestal and hysterically shout, wave, cry, faint just because they have been "bestowed the honor" of catching sight of them live. Appreciation? Fine. Buy their music, watch their movies or games? Fine. Idolatry, going crazy, worship-like admiration? Thumbs down!

No comments:

Post a Comment