Thursday, May 10, 2012

Flowers And Numbers


I continue learning lessons from the beautiful geranium plant I keep on my windowsill. I remember a previous article I posted about a flower that surprised me,  having bloomed behind my lowered window blind without my knowledge. This made me reflect upon our hidden skills, that are there but which we seldom are aware of. This time, while admiring a newly bloomed blossom, I noticed that the whole flower was formed by five smaller ones, each having five petals. Okay, I told myself, here is something I need to look into. As a matter of fact, I believe that in nature absolutely everything is meaningful, nothing is there just by chance. Therefore...I took the time to find out about number five. I started by discovering that the number of petals in all flowers (3, 5, 8, 13 etc.) is strictly connected to the mathematical Fibonacci sequence (where each number is obtained from the sum of the two preceding ones. Example 1-2 -3   / 3 = 2+1). From a different, non-scientific point of view, number five is said to represent harmony and balance, it encourages us to appreciate the wonders of nature and life in general. It is also related to the perfection of the human body (five fingers and toes, five senses etc..). Finally, it is considered a symbol of the Universe. Wow. Quite e number, isn't it? Thanks, my lovely geranium, for leading  me (and whoever might be interested) to acquire this fascinating new piece of information and for encouraging me to go on into further investigations. So, Hurrah for number 5! 
P.S. By the way, it seems well proven that numbers are the sum total of the whole available knowledge. Don't scientists, such as physicists, use only numbers for their work related to both the "huge" (Universe)  and the "tiniest" (atomic and sub-atomic world). And what about "music"?

No comments:

Post a Comment