Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Sex And The T.V.


I would like to understand the modern obsession with sex in TV commercials (not to mention, of course, all the actual programs such as reality shows, sitcoms, film etc..). In the past, ads would focus on the product'goodness and its presentation would be relevant to what they were talking about. Such presentation might have been funny, slightly flirtatious, but never vulgar or openly sexual. When I reflect on the present fad, which is followed by movies, song videos, magazines etc., I can only wonder what the word sex signifies these days. According to the official definition, it generally means "sexual activity". Therefore I wonder how eating a potato chip can be connected with such an action. Of course I am not totally naive, so I understand the implications of the way the girl is pretending to enjoy eating the chip!  But I find it rather sad that today sex seems to need all these types of "reminders". Does it have the necessity to be enhanced or encouraged? Didn't people use to have romantic relationships in the past? I believe they did, with neither problems nor need for reminders and without having to talk about it all the time. It was something natural that no one had to obsess upon, as it appears to be nowadays. As I believe that everything happens for a reason, this compulsion to introduce sexual stuff all the time in all possible situations must mean something, must reflect a specific psychological state our society is currently experiencing. And, of course, it is well exploited by advertising geniuses, film makers, magazine editors etc. with the usual goal of making money. Well, that's progress! (Or is it?)


No comments:

Post a Comment