Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Disappointment Happens (Either You Like It Or Not)


Let's talk a bit about disappointment. Who has never been disappointed, raise your hand. No hands up? For sure!! Disappointment is one of the great mysteries of life. "How come?", you say, "I have done everything for him (or her, or them) and I get no acknowledgment, not even a 'thank you'!" Another scenario: "I can't believe this, I had been assured I would get the promotion, because I am better that A.B. and now he/she gets promoted." And even: "Oh no! I followed the recipe instructions to the letter and the cake didn't rise!" Big and little problems of everyday life that make you feel cheated, that make you feel you didn't get what you deserved, what you were entitled to. But... you know what? (And here comes the bad news!) You are entitled to nothing. The problem arises when you expect others to be they way you expected them to be. "Why she never reciprocates my compliments? I am always so kind to her!". Or: "Why he didn't ask for my advice before buying his  new car? Am I  or am I not his best friend?". Well, others are the way they are. If you feel like paying a compliment, go ahead and do it, but don't expect anything back. Your friend chooses his new car without your advice? Fine. It's his right. He doesn't owe you anything and you should not nurse expectations towards him or anybody/anything else. So, here is the Big Truth! Do not expect anything. Do not create a scenario in your mind about how people should behave and things should happen. You have no power over them You have power only over yourself, i.e. over you reaction to what happens. Are you ready to accept it? 

E-mail your comments to:    viverbene@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment