Sunday, March 25, 2012

Dedication, A Virtue


I have recently written about people who are NOT committed to what they first started doing with enthusiasm. Now I want to spend a few words talking about dedication, the meaning of which is not too different from commitment. Yesterday I attended a concert of the Youth Orchestra and I was totally struck by how seriously these young people are following their passion. They are just amateurs who are playing classical music. In spite of my total attention being given to the musicians, I couldn't help noticing that the person sitting next to me kept playing with his cellphone (and left the theater at intermission... By the way, why did he come?). Then a comparison appeared clear to my eyes. The bored man versus those beautiful youngsters - intent faces, eyes on the music sheets in front of them - who were playing divine melodies that could raise you to the highest peaks of elation. Looking at them, I wondered about their future. Some of them may just continue playing as a hobby, others might think of starting a career. Will they be successful? Will they be disappointed? No way to predict it, now. But the positive thing that makes me believe that, no matter what they decide, they will never be deluded is the fact that their heart is in what they are doing. Passion, enthusiasm and dedication are the keys to a meaningful, successful life, no matter what you do. Martin Luther King Jr. said something like, "Even if you are in the humblest position, do your work at your best and you will be doing it with greatness.". Fantastic words, that deserve to be remembered whenever you feel like doing a sloppy or careless job because.... no one is looking. You know!

No comments:

Post a Comment