Friday, March 2, 2012

Experts' Advice


The wise old Romans used to say "In medio stat virtus". Some translate the word virtus as courage or manliness, which is correct (from the Latin vir, man) but I believe that in this case a second definition is more suitable, i.e. "goodness or merit". So, this famous saying can be translated as Goodness is found in the middle. Meaning? Easy: exaggeration is always wrong! I had an additional proof of this firm belief of mine yesterday, while reading an article about  doctors changing their point of view on the usefulness of drinking eight glasses of water a day. I have never accepted this advice for three simple reasons. 1. I simply cannot drink when I am not thirsty. 2. According to reason, we intake plenty of water through other sources (fruit, vegetables, juices etc.) 3. If I drank that amount of liquid I would spend half of my time in and out of the restroom. As simple logic is usually my faithful guide, this has been my response to the "8 glasses of water a day" celebrated rule. So, yesterday I happen to read an article where doctors discard this 1945 rule and decide that we intake enough water through plenty of other sources in our daily meals. Wow! I am no doctor, but I have always thought the same thing. Can this be an indication about the wisdom of blindly following the experts' advice?
P.S.
I'd be happy to receive your comments. E-mail them to
viverbene@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment