Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Food, Food, Food!


As so much it is said (and complained) about obesity, I decided to conduct a little research on the present life style and its being conditioned by the media in the specific field of FOOD! I've taken the time to notice, in particular, how many culinary programs and food advertising are broadcast on television. Actually, I didn't care to count them. I only know that they are galore, at all times of the day. And here I am wondering: in a society' where thin seems to be considered equal to beautiful (or at least this is what they are trying to convince us of), where slimming programs, tablets, creams, diets and all kinds of relevant advertising are promoted, why this flood of recipes... sweet, savory, spicy, sour... meat, fish, cakes... Italian, Mexican, Japanese...fried, grilled, baked, broiled...? You might get the impression that till now people didn't know what to eat and how to cook.  While on one hand "they" promote and encourage eating, on the other  hand they keep advertising about the necessity of losing weight. Do I see a contradiction here or is my understanding deceiving me? What's going on? Is this only a matter of business, of money? In spite of the numberless statements that all the ingredients used are organic, natural, healthy (both in these programs and in fast food commercials) - as if "they" really cared - yes, it is just a matter of money, of audience, of selling. Strange that no one seems to notice. If I happened to mention my puzzlement on the matter, I have been given strange looks, obviously meaning: "What is she talking about?". So people continue to happily enjoy huge meals and then spend a fortune trying to get rid of what they  have previously ingested!

No comments:

Post a Comment