Monday, February 13, 2012

Vanity Fair


Last night I decided to watch - for the first time - the Grammy Awards red carpet show. I divided my attention between two TV channels to increase the fun, or so I thought. I know some of the singers just by name, but the impression I got was that a lot of fake conversations and dubious compliments were floating around, along with plenty of stereotyped smiles.  I saw blue hair, underwear hardly covered by a transparent sheath, Sicilian peasant caps (the so-called "coppole") worn with formal dinner jackets and bow ties. I refuse to acknowledge a few outfits only suitable for a masquerade but I couldn't help noticing a lady (was she one?) wearing a machine gun over her shoulder. Was she trying to state a point? Deliver a message? Support or advertise for war? I don't know what happened during the actual ceremony, and who the winners were. I am sure it must have been interesting for the fans. But the red carpet, which I expect will be talked about  for quite some time, honestly meant, at least for me, two wasted hours of my time. An experience certainly not worth repeating. But at least now... I feel more up-to-date!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment