Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Mind Over Matter


I have made an interesting observation about the impact of mind over matter, in this case body. We have all heard about this, it's a well known statement, but experiencing it personally is something quite exciting. During my daily workout, I am used to doing a particularly tiring exercise but, in spite of its difficulty, I keep persisting because I am not a quitter. Nevertheless, I can be a "sufferer", when it is the case! So I decided to try a little trick. For the whole duration of the stressful stretch, I brought myself to focus on a specific thought, such as planning a trip or deciding the menu for a dinner party. Incredible but true! When the exercise was over, I realized that I had felt neither the passing of time not the discomfort that I usually have to bear. What do you think? Why don't you try it when you have to face an unpleasant situation or while listening to an annoying interlocutor? Our mind can perform actual "miracles" if we trust it enough and give it the chance. Let's put our ego, our constant reasoning, our resisting, our judging aside for a while. And let's just expect our willpower to help us achieve our goal. It may be able to do just that, over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment