Friday, June 1, 2012

A Hit Movie


A few days ago I saw that a recent hit movie was being broadcast on TV so, as I probably am one of the few who hasn't seen it, I decided to fill this unforgivable gap. I watched it for about thirty minutes then - although I consider myself a very open minded person (would I be writing on Positive Thinking otherwise?) - I could not watch it any longer. I felt I was honestly wasting my time, my precious time, looking at something that, although not visually disagreeable, was totally devoid of meaning. I know that people enjoy comedy, fantasy, action, thrillers and, believe me, I do, too. But, every now and then, I feel that some movies, the same as some books or songs, have no actual reason to exist, lest to be offered to the public. Not only are they useless and meaningless, they sometimes portray negative aspects of life in a way that, rather than inspire people to learn a lesson, gain insight or simply have a healthy laugh, seems to encourage them towards immoral, unethical or utterly superficial behaviors. And it's not a matter of age, either. At any age you can enjoy a romantic story, an exciting thriller or even a heavy metal song (I do!), but always being aware that we are reasoning beings, with a brain and a mind that are supposed to make us discriminate between what is sound, good, useful, interesting, pleasant or uplifting, and what is not. Just remember that everything you watch, read and listen to is a kind of "food" that nourishes your true self, i.e. who you are, and that will have a strong impact on who you will become.

No comments:

Post a Comment