Sunday, June 24, 2012

Find the Right Fitting!



I was looking at a baby girl in her mother's arms. She was so small, pretty, innocent. She was smiling and seemed utterly satisfied, happy. She had all she needed. She felt protected, secure. She was "fulfilled" (so to say) because all her needs were provided for. I started wondering about this baby's possible future. For how long will she go on feeling the same contentment? Soon she'll become a toddler... so tantrums will start. "I want it!". The first hint of rebellion and expectations is already there, expressed quite loudly. Next stage: teen-age. "You don't tell me what to do!" Here the rebellion is openly verbalized. As a youngster, while still unconsciously feeling protected, she will need to underline her own (still shaping up) personality. The rebellious nature of a human being is at its peak, and it is shown with no half measures. Then she will learn to manage her feelings better and trod through life in several possible specific ways. If she chooses the path of selfishness, she'll try to get as much as possible, all for herself. Pattern: "I am the best. I deserve it all. Who cares about the others?" The hateful, overpowering harpy (or dictator, in the case of a man). On the other hand, the altruist says, “I care for you, I’ll help you”. If she decides to be a victim, it will be the "Poor me, poor me" mental pattern. The abused one. "What should I do? Advise me, you know better". Here is the meek follower speaking. "Come with me. I'll guide you because I know it all", the leader forcefully asserts.  She could either become kind or aggressive, quiet or loud, friendly or withdrawn, shy or outspoken and assertive. Wow. There are so many possible outcomes in this little baby's  future. She will also have to face her challenges, as everybody else. I wish her to choose to walk on  the best path, the most rewarding for her. There is no "one path" that can suit  every person. Like a jacket or a pair of shoes, each person must find the right size. If they try to wear the wrong one, they will suffer from feet ache or a bad shoulder fitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment