Sunday, July 24, 2011

A Fellini movie

        


Yesterday I felt I was in a Fellini movie. Who remembers 8 ½” and the mesmerizing  final ring-around-the-rosey with all those people being there, moving together, with a definite place in time and space, yet kind of alien to each other, in spite of the apparent connectedness? I was taking part in a Peace Vigil where its usually just our group. We hold signs about peace, about stoppong the war, about creating peaceful jobs. But yesterday a whole lot of other people were there, sprouted out from nowhere. Beside the "ladies in black", there were those holding signs about Jesus, others about repenting and finding a way to get to Heaven, along with additional ones supporting Israel. Someone else, wrapped up in a black and white  Middle-Eastern headcover (shemagh), was waving the Palestinian flag. I heard a little girl holding a Jesus sign, next to her Israel-supporting father, say to  the Palestinian chap : You will be forgiven. Then she told me that I was blessed. I could only manage to answer, Thanks, you too. The whole scene seemed totally surreal. I havent gotten over it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment