Friday, July 15, 2011

Fear kills enthusiasm


 When you get ready to start something new, when you want to try what we never tried before, fear joins enthusiasm. You are willing to make the first step, such as start a new career, get married, write a book or move to another town, but there is usually something holding you back. It is fear of giving up what you know or what you have, in order to engage in an enterprise whose success is not guaranteed. If you decide to make a major change in your life, to put your past behind you because it did not make you happy, the moment you start packing up for your "journey", you begin having doubts.   What is awaiting me? Will I make it? What if I cannot find a job?   What if I do not like my new position? What if there are so many ifs, so many doubts, so many fears! Fear of having to give up something, even if it is for a greater good; fear of having to struggle too much to find the new path to success. And yet it would be enough to think: If I am truly convinced of the step I am about  to make, if I carefully weighed the pros and the cons of what I intend to do, if I do not act recklessly, why worry?  In spite of the uncertainty that tries to weaken your trust, there is a deep knowing that all is going to be all right. It is an intimate, indescribable feeling, whispering: Go ahead, you can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment