Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Questions and Answers


If you ask: How many inhabitants does the city of Sidney have? How high is  Mount Everest? it is very easy to answer. You look it up on an encyclopedia or on the Internet and in no time you find the exact answers. All questions or doubts about things that can be calculated or historical facts are easily answered or solved.  However, if you ask:  Who am I? What is my purpose in life? How far should I go in trying to make my marriage work? How should I raise my child? How ought I to behave with my neighbor? these questions are not so simple to answer. You may have read books on the subject, listened to inspired speakers but,  deep inside, you feel they haven’t given you the perfect answer, the one you need . Why? Simply because what others said or wrote is the answer they found for themselves, according to “who they are”. Are their explanations able to convince you? They may or they may not. They can certainly help you formulate the problem, they can provide you with theories, but they are unable to give you "your own" answer, the one suitable for you. A teacher can show you the direction, but the actual path towards self-improvement must be found by you, with your owm means. No one else can do it for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment