Thursday, April 21, 2011

When you least expect it…..


On my window sill, between a luscious plant of basil and the most splendid white orchid, sits a lovely geranium. It had been blooming the whole summer, then it seemed to have stopped. Due to my incompetence in gardening matters, seeing the lack of new buds and the yellowing leaves, I thought the plant was about to die. Still, I decided to keep it - although without hope - and went on watering it. One day, to avoid having too much sunlight hitting my eyes while I sat on the couch, I lowered the  venetian blind to almost touch the top of the geranium, and kept it down. Till, in the dead of winter, I decided to lift it up to get more light. And there, almost a foot high, stood the most beautiful flower, bright red, in full bloom!!! I couldn't believe my eyes. I would have never guessed that a wonderful flower was being born and was growing behind that venetian blind while I was totally unaware of such a miracle. How many times does something similar happen in life? Have you ever been pleasantly surprised, receiving what you had stopped hoping for? Or what you would have never expected to be given? A good news? A reassuring medical report? A positive answer? A smile or a kind word from someone you thought did not like you? An unexpected gift? A helpful feedback? A happy ending to... (you fill in the blank). It doesn't matter how big or small the surprise is. It is always a gift that you should acknowledge and consciously be grateful for. Miracles happen every day, they only need your willingness to recognize them and....feel joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment