Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Of Pumpkins, Bricks and Chains

Here is a story that further clarifies the meaning of the previous 'Heavy Burdens'. A man was walking through a village carrying a huge pumpkin on his head, heavy bricks in his hands and big chains around his waist and ankles. He then met someone who asked him, "Why are you carrying that pumpkin?" "Am I? - said the man, surprised - I didn't realize I was. Actually, I don't need it", and he dropped it. After a while, he met someone else who asked, "Why are you carrying those heavy bricks?" Again the man said, "Am I? I really don't need them." So he dropped them, walking much more lightly. Finally, a third passerby asked, "Why are you carrying those big chains?" The man realized once again that he didn't need them. So he dropped them. Once he understood that the weights he had been dragging along were totally useless and that dropping them was his choice, he did so... and felt much lighter.




No comments:

Post a Comment