Saturday, December 30, 2017

A Homeless Gentleman

I recently happened to hear a homeless person speaking to others. He was a tall man with very refined features, acceptably groomed in spite of clear signs of indigence. His manners were polite, his words were kind and showed a certain refinement. I couldn't help wondering about him. Who was he? What had he been? How did he find himself in that situation? It might have been a choice - as it seems to be true for some, although probably not many. Or did he have to face dire circumstances he was unable to deal with? How sad it is that - in this world of ours - this kind of situation is not uncommon and that nothing significant is done about it. Many try to help but they are always palliative, temporary measures that do not solve the problem. I don't know what the solution might be. I only know that seeing that handsome aged gentleman carrying his worldly belongings in a small cart, greeting and thanking people (myself included) ... made my heart sink.


No comments:

Post a Comment