Friday, December 13, 2013

Perfect Strangers

When I was in primary school, my best friend was a little girl named Simonetta. We were together every day, either in class or playing princesses at home. We thought we would be friends forever. Then life situations separated and kept us apart. After several years, I was walking downtown with a colleague, when she stopped to greet her room-mate. She exchanged a few words with the young woman without introducing us. Then we continued our walk. A short while later something my colleague said made me realize that her room-mate was Simonetta!
I was stunned and upset at the same time. How could it be that our strong friendship had been wiped out to the point that we didn't even recognize each other after just a dozen years? Nothing was left of our closeness, we had become perfect strangers. Such realization hurt and made me think about how fleeting everything on Earth is. Even something you are so sure will last forever might disappear and be lost, never to be recovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment