Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Toddlers And Tiaras


Last night I decided to watch part of a TV program someone had mentioned to me and that kind of intrigued me. I was curious to see what it was about. It was about beauty pageants for little (and I mean "little") girls. I saw 5-years-old all dolled up, made up, hair styled in curls and towering chignons, dressed in low-cut outfits. And so, so fake... I saw babies pushed by their mothers (and by the "philosophy" of the producers) to become caricatures of what they wanted to be, totally erasing what they actually were. Some little girls were wearing sparkling tiaras with a proud attitude, others were desperately crying, crushed for not having won. I couldn't help wondering what will possibly become of these toddlers when they grow up. Will they keep on believing in their "right" to always be the winner, the best, feeling superior (and eventually be bitterly disappointed)? Or, on the other hand, will they keep on feeling defeated, losers, with no self-esteem, believing they betrayed their mothers' aspirations for not winning, for not being good enough? It's very likely. What a shame! What a cruelty! The total opposite of what a good education should be, of what wise parents should teach their children.

No comments:

Post a Comment