Saturday, December 10, 2011

A Missed Eclipse

Waking up very early this morning, I remembered that a total eclipse of the moon was going to take place between 4:30am and 6:00am. Perfect timing! I gladly saw that the moon was right in front of my window. Perfect place! I set myself in a suitable position to enjoy the whole spectacle when something unexpected happened. The moon moved behind a large fir-tree. What a disappointment! I was determined not to give up and, every now and then, I could catch brief sights of the eclipse in progress while the branches were swaying in the wind. Then... nothing more. The whole experience was lost. A similitude came to my mind. We often prepare ourselves, make plans, do all that needs to be done in order to achieve a certain result. But then something - totally unforeseen - happens and things take a different course. How to deal with the disappointment? Probably "with a smile". There is very little we can do in front of situations that are beyond our control. Accepting willingly what we cannot avoid makes life easier (if not happier). Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment