Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Dreadful Doubt


I have recently watched a documentary about the rise of the Third Reich (all original footage and documents). Now a doubt is bothering me: Had I lived in those days, had I been bombarded with that propaganda, would I have believed in those ideas, followed those ideals? I can't help wondering: To what extent is our mind receptive and susceptible to conditioning? When certain thoughts are instilled since childhood, how "free" is a human being to judge with clarity? Some individuals are certainly able to oppose what they do not believe to be true or fair but, probably, this happens only if they are confronted by such ideas as adults. On the other hand, what chances does a child have? At this point, it's worth pondering about the importance of education, i.e. influence of society (mainly the media), school system and parents' way of relating to their offspring.

No comments:

Post a Comment