Thursday, October 27, 2011

Ask...And Be Quiet!


I recently asked a friend for a ride someplace, but when I started telling her why I needed to go there, she told me: "You don't need to explain." I was dumbfounded. I had always thought that, when we ask something from somebody, we NEED to give explanations for our request, at least out of courtesy. It seems it is not so." Ask and you shall receive" probably means that the simple act of asking someone willing to give is enough to be granted our wish. Now I can't help wondering how many extra, not-needed words do we utter every day, just because we believe we have to go on, and on, and on in order to tell, explain, recount, justify, try to convince, prove a point etc... Never had I seen this truth so clearly, and understood why silence instead of words can often make life easier (and more appreciated by others!).

No comments:

Post a Comment