Saturday, June 25, 2011

What is LOVE?


I believe that LOVE is a topic everybody is interested in. I, myself, have often wondered what romantic love actually is, I mean how it happens, why it happens, and if we have any control over it. My favorite author and mentor, Anthony de Mello, says that what we usually consider love is only dependence, i.e. we need the other to fulfil whatever we feel we are lacking (caring, attention, support, inner strength etc…). Or – the other side of the coin – we have a need to control, to be "in charge", to “own" the other in order to feel powerful. Wow. I won’t say what “I” believe. I am just suggesting here that YOU examine yourself, again, from this perspective. There are so many facets to our personality that it will take a lifetime to check them all (if we ever succeed!). But… isn’t it worth it trying to understand yourself better, in order to re-adjust your life (when and where needed), so as to make it a happier one?

No comments:

Post a Comment