Friday, January 10, 2014

Sickle or Scissors?

Excerpt from my "Arab News" article:

There is a funny little story that my father used to tell. I loved it, I've never forgotten it and I often quote it. Here it is.
Two peasant spouses were discussing the best way to cut grain crops.
Husband: "You use a sickle."
Wife: "No, you use scissors."
Husband: "Sickle"
Wife: "Scissors"
They went on like this for quite some time. Finally, the exasperated husband threatened the woman to put her in the water well until she admitted that the right tool was the sickle. But she kept denying it. So he started lowering her into the well while keeping on asking her, "How do you cut the grain?". She kept on answering, "With the scissors". Her last reply, while the water was filling her mouth, was, "Scissors... glu...glu". And happily drowned. Cruel husband? Sure! But... talking about stubbornness (= need to prove one's point)!

No comments:

Post a Comment